President Obama spoke at the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin today, and President Kennedy spoke here almost fifty years before. The statue called the quadriga was designed in 1798 by Johann Schadow as a symbol of peace. It was seized by Napoleon and taken to Paris, but returned to Berlin in 1814. It was heavily damaged during WWII.
Here the goddess atop the gate appears to set her bird of peace loose among the crowds.
Good for her! Peace for all!
(Photos taken May 2013)